Monday, September 2, 2013

Yes, I know it has been forever and a 3-month hiatus is unforgivable. I've been busy with work, shifting houses, a friend's wedding and lots of travelling. I managed to visit the U.S. last month and I had an amazing time. So I thought I'll share a few pictures of the food I gorged in New York (I'm sorry I couldn't have too many pics here, I've been struggling to find my old memory card in this house and mostly, I finished eating before clicking a pic).






















                                  Salmon and Avocado Sushi with Yuzu Aioli at Ruby Foo's.






















            Roast Peking Duck with a sweet and subtly spicy Hoisin sauce. Absolutely delicious!

















Watermelon, Ricotta and Ricola Salad with sunflower seeds - I liked the different textures.

















                   Oysters with red wine vinaigrette, lemon and horseradish. If you like Sushi, 
you'll be able to deal with oysters.

















                              The New York Sicilian - Mozzarella and tomato sauce on a square pizza
 base with a thick crust at Julian's Brick Oven.


















                The Manhattan - Mozzarella, tomato sauce, basil and garlic. Simple and nice.



















                      Capicola, salami, meslun and mayo wrap served with the best sweet
                                                     potato fries I've ever had!



















                       Chicken salad with fresh veggies and a cold Garbanzo soup at a local deli.



















                                               Hot chicken wings at an Irish pub.

















                       American style Mac n Cheese - a little too cheesy for my taste.















                     Pastrami sandwich at a local diner - too much meat, too little seasoning.





                                  The 'small' portion of the Greek salad that I ordered.
















Unagi Eel Sushi - the eel was well-cooked with a sweet and spicy sauce, so I wasn't too squeamish about trying eel for the first time.


















               Mandoo Gui - deep fried beef dumplings. Very greasy, and hence, very yummy.























   Pork Belly being BBQ'd. No final shot because we ate it in minutes the moment it was done.


Assorted Korean-style accompaniments for the
various meats.





















                   Deep fried spicy chicken that I loved. Reminded me of home actually.


















        Garden Fresh Omelette - Cheese, mushrooms, green peppers and tomatoes at IHOP.
















      Spinach and Mushroom Omelette topped with Hollandaise sauce - very rich and filling.

















The fluffiest, most delicious pancakes I've had in my life - topped perfectly with a blob of butter   and served with assorted syrups.


First things first, I got a new watermark. Yay! I'm trying the whole "I-click-photos-of-food-so-I-shall-use-an-artistic-watermark" thing, so I thought this would give my photos a cleaner look - what do you guys think?

Also, a few observations after having eaten at the U.S.:
  1. Portion sizes are HUGE. They literally are the size of your head. So forget ordering an appetizer AND a main course. Pick one.
  2. Fatty/unhealthy/greasy foods are dirt cheap. McDonald's serves quarter pounder burgers for a pittance, and that really contributes to a growing unhealthy population there.
  3. Healthy, well-cooked food and cooking at home is expensive. A dozen eggs cost more than buying a small jar of mayo. It's thus easier to just buy readymade stuff instead.
  4. Food is actually cheap in New York. I found Sushi rolls (6 pieces) for $3. I get 2 pieces of Sushi priced INR 300 and upwards in Bangalore.
  5. The food streets are really interesting and you'll find cuisines from world over in New York. There are also food tours that are organized that help you explore new areas to find all kinds of food.
So, yeah, I had a ball of a time, but I was bummed that I didn't eat at more places because I didn't have much time. 
Before I sign off, here's a pic of me with the New York skyline. I'm feeling very narcissistic.


5 comments: