Wednesday, September 25, 2013

So the Citibank Restaurant Week is finally here, and I’m very excited. Yay! Spanning across 3 cities (Delhi, Mumbai and Bangalore), the event usually happens twice a year – in April and in September. The idea is to give people an opportunity to dine at each city's finest restaurants at a fraction of the price it would normally cost through a three-course prix fixe menu. This allows participating restaurants to showcase their food by selecting dishes representative of their philosophy and diners get to experience restaurants they may have hesitated from trying. A 3-course meal at these fine restaurants costs Rs.750 plus taxes per head. I won't call it cheap, but it's not too expensive either.

The first restaurant on my list was Benjarong, the Thai restaurant located on Dickenson Road. I've been to Benjarong before and have always enjoyed my meal there, but it had been a while since I visited it last, so I picked it. Also, they had the most extensive menu of the lot, offering 4-courses with plenty of options, so it was a personal favourite.

We went on a Tuesday night at 7 30, and the restaurant was empty except for one table. We were offered the menus and everything looked really tempting. Each of us was allowed to pick two starters (mighty generous, if you ask us), so we ordered the 3 starters off  the non-veg menu and one from the vegetarian menu. Your meal here typically begins with the Thai version of what I may call a paan. Except that instead of betel leaves, you'd have the iceberg lettuce served with pieces of ginger, peanuts, chilli, lime, toasted coconut and jaggery. It all comes together wonderfully to essentially give you 3 prominent Thai flavours - sweet, sour and spicy.

Thai style Paan ;)




We ordered our appetizers, along with our soups and salads. Surprisingly, the first dish that came to our  table was the soup. As far as I know (and the million army parties that I've attended), it's always the appetizers that precede the soup. The soup is served as a reminder of "Dinner is nearly ready." Do educate me on this if anyone knows the whole deal. Anyway, we ordered the Tom Yum Soup, which was a spicy Thai soup flavoured with lemon grass, Kaffir lime and galangal. I ordered the vegetarian one and my friend ordered the shrimp one. I liked the veggie one better because it was lighter and had a distinct, clear flavour of the lemongrass; the shrimp soup literally tasted 'shrimpy', i.e. had that fishy taste that I didn't particularly enjoy.

Lemon grass soups with veggies (L) and shrimp (R)


My first starter, Grathong Thong Gey was simply herbed water chestnuts in rice tartlets. Now, I really like water chestnuts as I love their versatile use, so I might be a little  biased while writing this, but this was a splendid appetizer. The herbs blended very well  to give the chestnuts an already fresher taste and the tartlet was perfectly crispy. My next starter was the Gai Hor Baitaey, which was spiced chicken wrapped in pandanus leaves. The chicken was wrapped in a pandan leaf which locked its flavour and heat and was perfectly moist and tender when we tried it. I enjoyed both of my starters.

Chicken in Pandan Leaf (L) and Water Chestnut Tartlets (R)


My friend ordered the Grathong Thong Gai, which were rice tartlets filled with herbed chicken mince (similar to the veg one). This tasted fine to me, nothing exceptional, and I found the water chestnut tartlet to taste far better. The final starter was the Tod Mun Pla, which were fish patties served with cucumber relish. This was a mighty disappointment, as the fish tasted like it had some gram flour coating and was a little too greasy for my liking. My friend agreed. No sign of the cucumber relish either, but we were served a sweet chilli vinagrette which, fortunately for us, completely overpowered the tasted of the fish patties.

Chicken Tartlets (L) and Fish Patties (R)


For the salads, I picked the Yum Mamuang, the raw mango salad (something that I've always enjoyed here) and my friend picked the Larb Gai, which was a minced chicken salad flavoured with Kaffir lime leaves and mint. My mango salad was lovely as always with the toasted peanuts and chives, just that I found it a tad too sour (largely because of the unavailability of good quality raw mangoes in this season). The Larb Gai was a total breath of fresh air with the chicken coated with that lovely Kaffir lime tang and the fresh mint powering through. Both the salads were a hit among us.

Raw Mango Salad





Chicken Larb
We were filling up real fast and still had main course to try. There were four options in the non-veg menu, and we decided to order all four of them (since each of us were allowed to select two mains, again, a very generous choice). I ordered the Gai Pahd Hed, which was stir fried chicken and mushroom in a wild oyster sauce and the Gae Pahd Prik Tai On, stir fried lamb in a tender peppercorn rice. I liked the chicken in the oyster sauce a lot. This was served with steamed rice. It was light and the combination of chicken and mushroom was a wonderful marriage that went well with the rice. The lamb was nicely flavoured and had a lovely peppery flavour. The accompanying veggies with it were also nice, though I ate this like a starter instead of pairing it with my rice.

Our next orders were Kaeng Keow Wahn Gai, which was a chicken green curry with pea and aubergine and Pla Rad Prik, fish in chilli basil sauce. We chose Thai flat noodles in a chilli basil sauce as an accompaniment for this. The chicken and aubergine went very well, and the rice was a better accompaniment to it. I found the peas, however, hard and very difficult to bite into. The fish had a nice chilli flavour, but was nothing exceptional.I enjoyed the flat noodles in the chilli basil sauce immensely though.


Now completely stuffed and nearly bursting at the seams, we had a final dessert to go. My friend ordered Sankhaya Fakhthong, which was a coconut and pumpkin custard. It was an odd combination, but we were curious to try it. The flavour wasn't too great, and I didn't get much of pumpkin flavour anyway. The texture wasn't silky as that of a typical custard, and the total dessert wasn't much to write home about. My friend even termed it as 'Coconut Halwa'. :P

Coconut and Pumpkin Custard


 Since curiosity seemed to be the theme of our desserts, I ordered the Aitim Takrai, which was nothing but lemon grass ice-cream. I had never tried a lemon grass flavoured ice-cream and seeing this on the menu definitely piqued my interest. Two generous scoops of this pale green ice-cream finally arrived on my table and I took a small teaspoonful. I LOVED the burst of flavour in my mouth and loved how versatile the taste of lemon grass was right from the soup to ice-cream. I recommend this to everyone. My next stop: Wasabi Ice-cream. :)

Lemon Grass Ice-cream


Our lavish 4-course meal finally came to an end and we were too full to even move. The bill came up to Rs.940 inclusive of taxes and was money well spent. I must add here that we found the service outstanding and our server constantly came to our table from time to time, serving us, explaining the dishes, and taking good care of us. We did leave a generous tip because the service was fantastic.

Food - 7.5/10
Service - 10/10
Ambience - 9/10
Verdict - Definitely go to try an authentic meal from Thailand in the heart of Bangalore.

I'm looking to try two more restaurants this week for the RWI, so more reviews coming up! :)

Benjarong is located at: 12/1, Ulsoor Road, Ulsoor, Bangalore
Contact number: 080-32217201/+91-9342-401-606
Parking: Valet


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your wonderful review, Agartha! We'e delighted to have hosted you as part of the Restaurant Week and can't wait to have you over again :-) We'll pass on your blog post to our chefs as well!

    Best,
    Swapnil Midha
    Marketing, Oriental Cuisines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting us at Benjarong, Swapnil. We had a great time! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing...
    here is one of the good Online Food Deals site in india: Online Deals in Delhi at Khaugalideals.com.

    Restaurants in Noida

    ReplyDelete